If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My parents were children of the Depression. Couple that with the fact we were relatively poor (not poverty-stricken, but certainly not middle-class), and lived in the rural South, and you produced a family that didn't waste anything. This was my favored way of recycling leftover potatos, and I used to eye the dish when Mama would make stewed potatos (quartered, boiled, then the water thickened with a cornstarch-and-milk slurry to make a heavier sauce, with some parsley added) to be sure there were enough left to do this with the next night. It also worked on mashed potatos, and I have even used it with roasted potatos (you just have to mash up a few pieces, but the crispy-chewy outside lends a neat texture note). It's still one of the ultimate comfort foods for me, and I never boil or mash potatos that I don't cook some extra for this. —Kayb
- 2 cups leftover stewed, boiled, mashed or roasted potatos
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 cup milk, approximately
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a bowl, mash up a few of the potatos, if using boiled or roasted. Add flour, green onions, baking powder, salt and pepper, and beaten egg.
- Stir to distribute flour, and begin adding milk, a bit at a time, until a good thick batter consistency is reached.
- Scoop in about 1/2 cup portions into hot oil. Fry about 3-4 minutes, until golden, flip, and brown that side. Drain on paper towels, and keep warm in oven on a rack until ready to serve.
- If you want to fancy up the presentation, sprinkle with some freshly grated parmigiano and some chopped chives, and serve with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.