If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is near and dear to my heart. My close friend spoke of potato pancakes always. I loved the family story behind her love of this recipe. I learned her Jewish heritage and significant recipes. I love history lessons through food. Later at a restaurant in New York City, I tried potato pancakes. I had just taken a new job as a pharmaceutical rep, and so did my future husband. Over potato pancakes we got to know each other. We were excited for our new jobs, and the best was yet to come. I would say that potato pancakes went full circle for me. - ashleychasesdinner
Serves 4 to 6
- 5 large Russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 1/2 large white onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal or unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Take one peeled potato and use large side of box grinder to shred potato.
- Next grind one onion. The onion juice will help the potato keep its color and not turn brown.
- Alternate between the potatoes and onions, until all are shredded.
- Let sit in a bowl for 10 minutes. This releases water, pour the water from the bowl after 10 minutes.
- Take a dish towel and press the potato and onion mixture to release more water. Keep pressing until dry.
- Now place potato and onion mixture in a large bowl.
- Mix in eggs, matzo meal ( or bread crumbs) and salt. Mix well.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of oil to a heavy cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Take 2 tablespoons of mixture and drop in oil.
- Press into a patty using a fork. Let cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Flip only once. ( this prevents excess oil in the pancake).
- When done, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb access moisture.
- Serve hot with applesauce and sour cream.
- Note: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes