If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My little angel has food allergies. I am always looking for new ways to cook safe foods. This recipe is a perfect appetizer, breakfast, or side dish For those who may not be able to eat other Hannakuh treats, these allergy-friendly latkes are a perfect alternative that everyone can enjoy. Your guests will never know that you made them without potato. The secret to their success is rest. Once the batter is mixed, it must rest for at least 30 minutes before frying to a light, crispy brown. A plate of these latke with a side of honey is a sweet treat for the soul. - AllergicAngel
Makes 10 latke
- 1 cup cooked short grain rice
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons chives or green onion
- 1 tablespoon rice oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 cup water
- rice oil for frying
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until just mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Pour enough oil in a non-stick skillet to cover the bottom. Do not use an iron skillet. Rice flour doesn't perform well on iron skillets. I find that this batter does best in a non-stick skillet.
- Turn heat to medium or medium-high. When the oil is thoroughly heated, ladle batter into the pan and gently press to flatten. Keep your ladle in a bowl of water to prevent the batter from sticking. If the batter begins to stick to the ladle, just dip the it in the water again.
- Cook the latke until light brown on one side. Watch your heat and only turn them one time. If the latke cook too slow, they will be hard on the inside or too fast and they will be mushy.
- Once the latke have cooked on each side, place them on plate with a paper towel to cool.
- Serve with honey or applesauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.