If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a huge fan of scallion pancakes I wondered what it would be like to create a mini Asian-styled latke with a potato base. You can see the results. I uploaded photos of stages. —Sagegreen
- 4 ounces soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated peeled ginger
- 1 cup grated russet or Yukon gold potato, skins on or off
- 1/4 cup grated leek bulb
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 1/2 cup grated peeled carrot
- 1/4 cup grated parsnip
- 1/4 cup minced green scallion
- 3 tablespoons (or more) of fresh grated and peeled ginger, to taste
- dash of kosher salt
- dash of black ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, optional
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 ounces lemon panko bread crumbs
- peanut or olive oil for frying (or other high smoke point oil)
- sliced scallions for garnish
- For the dipping sauce combine soy, vinegar, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the grated potato with the other grated vegetables and ginger. Add scallions, the salt and pepper, and optional sesame seeds, if you want.Squeeze all the excess liquid from this mix using a colander, cheesecloth or your bare hands. Return to the bowl.
- Mix in the eggs and panko bread crumbs. Form tablespoon= sized patties.
- Heat a heavy gauge frying pan with a generous coating of oil. When a drop of liquid would sizzle in the pan, proceed to add a manageable number of the patties to the pan. As soon as the bottom of each turns golden brown, turn over. When golden on top, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve with the dipping sauce and sliced scallions. Pair these with sake if you like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.