Author Notes: I love apples. And I love cake. However, I've made this recipe with blueberries. Rasberries, pears, prune plums and peaches. All terrific.
The most important thing to know for this recipe is to cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Second most important thing to remember is to have fun! This is an easy recipe. And yummy. So enjoy the entire very simple process. From mixing bowl to mouth! - andreabakes
Serves an 9 x 12 cake
- 5 apples, I like red or golden delicious
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup for topping.
- 2 teaspoons good vanilla.
- 4 large eggs.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- extra butter & flour for the pan..
- Extra 1/2 cup sugar & 1/2 tsp cinnamon for the topping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare an 8 x 12 or 9 x 13 pan with butter and flour.
- Core & peel apples. Slice into half moon shapes.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix until just blended.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth the to.
- Place apple slices in overlapping rows. Sprinkle, liberally, with sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake I hour.
- Let cool then cut into squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake