If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I married into this recipe. My husband's grandmother made this upon coming to this country. We think it is loosely based on something she used to eat back home in the German speaking part of Czechoslovakia, but it's equally possible that she created this out of ingredients she always had on hand: cottage cheese, mustard and onions. This dip was at every party I went to at my mother-in-law's house and is at every party my three sisters-in-law throw. Each one makes it a little differently. This is my updated, slightly smoother version. It sounds odd, and cottage cheese is not a trendy grocery staple, but this is as easy as they come and surprisingly delicious. In some circles it is served only with Ritz crackers. I tend to branch out... —healthierkitchen
Serves a small group as an hors d'oeuvre
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, small curd
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown deli mustard (in the family tradition, I use Guldens)
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely minced, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- sweet Hungarian paprika
- Place cottage cheese in bowl. Add 2 teaspoons or about 2/3 of the mustard. Mix well and taste. It should be a little sharp but the mustard should not completely overtake the cottage cheese flavor. If it is too creamy and the cottage cheese flavor is still dominant, add more mustard.
- Add the shallots and goat cheese and mix. Taste again and add more mustard if necessary.
- Place into serving bowl and top with a healthy sprinkling of paprika.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish