Author Notes: My husband and I first had this appetizer at the Chart House Restaurant in Miami. The crab is dressed in a remoulade, and topped with fresh mango, bell pepper, red onion and avocado with a touch of chive oil. It's a wonderful fresh combination of flavors. I have adapted it so I can serve it as a hors d'oeuvre at holiday parties. It's always a favorite and the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled for larger events! - tara_denman
Makes 30 servings
Crab dressed in Remoulade Sauce
- 1 pound Jumbo lump crab meat, shredded
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise ( hellman's or kraft)
- 1/3 cup Creole or whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 splash fresh lemon juice
- Mix the mayonnaise,mustard,garlic,Worcestershire and Tabasco and splash of lemon juice together. Season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Add 3/4 cup of the remoulade mixture to the shredded crab meat. Refrigerate.
Assembling the crab stacks
- 2 cups ripe mango, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup yellow or red pepper, diced 1/2 inch
- 1/2 cup red onion, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced 1/2 inch
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- optional: you can use a toasted baguette instead of cucumbers
- Mix the mango, onion and red pepper together, set to the side
- Place cucumber slices on serving tray, add a tablespoon of the crab remoulade mixture to each cucumber slice.
- Then layer a few pieces of avocado on top of the crab mixture, lastly sprinkle the mango, onion and red mix on top of the avocado. You are ready to serve.
- Optional- you can drizzle the stacks with Chive Oil. Chive Oil: 1 bunch of chives 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil salt to taste In a saucepan of boiling water blanch chives 10 seconds and drain in a sieve. Immediately place chives into an ice bath to stop cooking. Remove chives from ice water, squeezing out excess water, and drain on paper towels. Chop chives and purée in blender with oil until smooth. Transfer chive oil to bowl. Chill overnight. Pour oil through a fine sieve into a small bowl, pressing hard on solids.Store in plastic squirt bottle for easy use on stacks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish