Author Notes: During Hanukkah it is tradition to serve foods fried in oil, one of those foods has been the jelly doughnut. In an attempt to make them healthier I made them with whole wheat flour and kept them munchkin size for portion control. - Tamar Genger
- 31/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 pieces eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup all fruit preserves
- 1/2 cup oil, divided
- Mix whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and sugar in a large bowl. Stir eggs, vanilla, milk and ¼ cup oil in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix to combine. Knead dough for a few minutes. Take about 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll into a small ball, flatten in your hand and spoon in a drop of jelly.
- Fold up the dough to cover the jelly and maintain the round shape. Makes about 24.
- Heat oil over high heat, once hot add doughnut and roll around in the oil until all sides are golden browned. Watch it closely, it can burn easily. Remove from heat and allow to drain on paper towels. Before serving, heat in hot oven for 5 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish