If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my mother's Denver Junior League recipe originally, although I have lightened it up a bit for modern tastes. (Those 70s recipes were fattening!) This retro hot dip becomes the hit of every party and is an often-requested recipe by friends. Left-overs are good warmed and served in tortillas as burritos. —avimom
Serves a crowd
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- cumin, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 ounces can chopped green chiles
- 8 ounces can non-fat refried black beans
- 2 cups grated skim cheddar-jack cheese
- 12 ounces jar picante sauce
- 4 ounces can minced black olives
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- 1 pint non-fat sour cream
- course sea salt, to taste
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- Wipe a large non-stick frying pan with cooking oil. Saute onions and garlic on medium heat until slightly soft. Add turkey and brown. Season to taste with cumin and red pepper.
- Add green chiles and mix in. Turn heat to low to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 425. Spread refried beans in bottom of 9x12 glass casserole dish.
- Spread warm meat mixture on top of beans. Distribute grated cheese all over top of meat. Pour picante sauce over cheese. (You can cover and store in fridge at this point or cover and take to party to put in oven there.)
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything else is juicy and bubbly. (It will take up to 20 minutes longer if coming from the fridge.)
- Remove from oven and sprinkle olives and green onions over the top. Put two large dollops of sour cream side-by-side on top of the hot casserole. Top each sour cream dollop with a dollop of mashed avocado. Sprinkle sea salt and chopped cilantro on top of avocado to season and garnish.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips. Just gather around and dig your chips right in, or, to be more civilized, pile chips on appetizer plates and spoon nacho topping over.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
A Bagel & Lox, In Salad Form
This is (crème) fraîche
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Churn with confidence.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.