If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After finding triangular pastry leaves (Ya? Üçgen Yufka) at my grocer, I experimented with an easy filling. The flavors for this turned out well. You could also use other types of pastry leaves for this recipe. - Sagegreen
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh milled black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 slice of pancetta, chopped, optional
- 1 cup peeled, roasted chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts, canned
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 24 triangular pastry leaves (11" long by 8" at widest width)
- 18 ounces Bulgarian sheep's feta
- 24 ounces dipping sauce and fresh herbs for serving
- Lightly coat the bottom of a saute pan with olive oil and heat. Add the spices. Lightly saute the mushrooms, onions, optional pancetta, and fennel. Add the chopped roasted chestnuts and water chestnuts. Add a dash of salt. Let cool off a bit.
- Take out the pastry leaves and line them up. Very lightly brush a touch of olive oil on each one. Divide the saute mix among the leaves, placing a large spoonful on the wide end of the triangle. Add a crumple of feta (3/4 oz. @) to each. Sprinkle the fresh herbs on top.
- Roll the triangles up distributing the filling. Brush very lightly with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. In a 350 degree oven bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh herbs and a dipping sauce of your choice. I suggest a soy sauce mixed with rice wine vinegar and fresh ginger (use a 3:1 ratio of soy to vinegar) or a hoisin sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls