If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lady apples are a godsend for your party menu planning -- they're such cute, ready-made, edible containers. Stuff them with a festive, colorful salad and they say "Welcome! Have a delicious holiday!" all in one bite. In this recipe, the ladies are dressed in their autumnal finest: a bright and earthy wild rice salad, punctuated with crisp bursts of pomegranate. I see lady apples at the farmers' markets all the time, but lately I've seen them turn up seasonally at Whole Foods and other grocery stores. —vrunka
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds (about half a pomegranate)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut (or other nut) oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (1 lemon), plus a few tablespoons more for the apples
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 20-30 lady apples
- Combine the wild rice, pecans, pomegranate, and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Combine with wild rice mixture.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl with about a quart of water and add the extra few tablespoons of lemon juice. Neatly chop the tops off of the lady apples and reserve them for topping the apples. Using a melon baller, gently core each apple, being careful not to break through the surface. Place the tops of the apples and the cored bottoms in the lemon water. Discard the cores.
- After all the apples have been processed, drain the apples well. Stuff each apple with about a tablespoon of salad and top with the little apple "cap". This will hold very well at room temperature so serve at your leisure.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.