If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an adult version of the homemade hot cocoa you grew up sipping as a kid during those cold winter days. The peppermint marshmallows were adapted from a Martha Stewart. I added peppermint schnapps to the marshmallow mixture to make it more of a winter cocktail. The cocoa and marshmallows can be made the day ahead. No fuss. - Table9
Makes 1 quart
- 1 1/4 tablespoons Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 Hot Water
- 1 quart Whole Milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Nutmeg
- Dash of Salt
Tipsy Peppermint Marshmallows
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
- 4 Packages Unflavored Gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Peppermint Schnapps
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 2 teaspoons Red Food Coloring
- Cooking Spray
- 1/3 cup Water
- Coat an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray and then line pan with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stop stirring and let mixture come to a bowl.
- Increase heat to medium-high, cook until mixture comes to 260 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- While the mixture is coming up to temperature, sprinkle the gelatin packets over 3/4 cup of water in a heatproof bowl - Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Once soft set gelatin bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in peppermint extract and peppermint schnapps. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer beat egg whites until peaks form. Whisk gelatin mixture into sugar mixture, and add combined mixture slowly to the egg whites. Mix for 12-15 until very thick.
- Pour completed mixture into the greased pan. Drop dots of red food coloring across the marshmallow mix. Using a toothpick or sharp knife swirl the food coloring into marshmallows. Let marshmallows sit, uncovered for at least three hours or overnight. Cut into squares.
- While marshmallows are sitting, combine all dry ingredients for hot cocoa in a saucepan. Blend in water and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add milk. Heat, stirring occasionally - do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.