Author Notes: When I think about holiday open houses it conjures up the spirit of generousity, which lends itself to giving and gifts. Thus what better than offering your guests at your open house or bringing to someone else's -"Holiday Packages" ! These cream cheese, artichoke, & crab filled packages can even be garnished with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar for that added holiday gleam! - micki barzilay
- 8 wonton wrappers
- 2- 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese
- 2 cans of crab ( high quality)
- 1 jar/can of artichoke bottoms
- 4 sprigs chives
- 2-3 cups canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sweet & hot chili oil
- Place 2 pg ( 16 oz) cream cheese into 2 separate bowls ( 8 oz ea) , let soften to room temp. In one bowl mix in milk & chili oil blending to a smooth dip-like consistancy. Set aside. In the other bowl add the drained & rinsed crab -(remove any internal paper wrapper encasing & rinse w/water through fine mesh strainer so as not to loose any crab). Finely chop or scissor snip chives. Drain artichoke bottoms , finely slice and cut into small pieces. Blend artichokes,crab, and chives nto the cream cheese.
- Remove & separate wonton's placing 8 wontons side by side. Using a small teaspoon, place app 1/2 inch scoop of cream cheese mixture in the center of each wonton.Bring opposite corners of wonton together meeting in the middle to form a balloon package shape. In a medium saucepan fill with enough oil so that the wontons will be fully submerged when dropping into the hot oil .Heat oil to a frying temperature.Test first by dropping a piece of wonton into the hot oil. It should fry immediately. Once ready drop the wonton's into the hot oil . They will momentarily sink then surface turning crispy golen brown . Be sure to not over cook or burn .Remove immediately , place on a clean paper towel to absorb excess oil for a few seconds then place on your serving platter, garnish with chives and serve your 'Holiday Packages"immediately along with the chili oil dipping sauce, For the added holiday touch you may garnish instead with a sprinkle of white powdered sugar and serve alongside your sweet and hot chili oil dip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish