Author Notes: I made it up~ Anything, can be added to or substituted in this recipe. It is fool proof. I have made savory ones, with seasonal vegetables, and hearty ones with ground meats and tomatoes. - jane_perry
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 8 cups cubed bread
- 3 cups milk
- 9 farm eggs (large)
- 8 pieces Black Forest Ham (thinly sliced)
- Butter a 3 Qt Baking dish liberally.
- Start layering the strata with 1/3 of the bread.
- Pour over 1/3 Maple Syrup.
- Sprinkle with a third of the cinnamon, sprinkle with cherries.
- Cover layer with 1/2 of the Black Forest Ham.(No ham on top layer). Repeat twice, with remaining ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, salt and pepper. Pour over strata. Tap bowl on counter to lift any air bubbles.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until eggs are set. Remove from oven, and allow to rest for 10 minutes~it will continue to cook a bit during this time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Tags: travels well