If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love homemade eggnog, raw eggs and all. There is something about the whole tradition that when it is made right it is ohhhh so good. Ok...so...what do you do with leftovers? I am sure most of it ends up in the morning coffee but in our house it was the perfect batter for making French Toast. With a few additional spices, eggs, and a slice of banana, a loaf of Challah becomes an ethereal experience. I have seen them filled with bananas, pureed bananas in the batter and even the ambiguous Banana Fosters French Toast. I like this simpler version. Not too sweet (no extra sugar added) and just the right puff in the bread. - Stockout
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup eggnog (homemade or store bought)
- 4 tablespoons rum (omit if the nog already had rum in it)
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 bananas, split and sliced in half (4 pieces per banana)
- 1 loaf challah or any egg bread, sliced into 12 slices
- 3 tablespoons butter for lubricating the pan (the leftover rum will lubricate the cook)
- Mix all ingredients up to bread in a mixing bowl and pour into a large baking dish.
- Add 4 pieces of bread at a time for 1 minute and turn over, remove to a platter and repeat until all bread is soaked. Before sauteing bread slice press 1 piece of banana into bread.
- In a large frying pan, stovetop griddle or an electric pan, fry 4 slices at a time for 4 minutes at medium heat. Flip and repeat until GB&D (golden brown and delicious).
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, butter and additional banana slices.
- If you want to be decadent, a little bosco goes a long way (HEY, I am from the Leave It To Beaver era).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.