If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cantaloupe sized pumpkins (also known as sugar pumpkins) aren't just for decoration! They are truly great for baking. One morning we started with the most amazing yet simple combination of oats and spices and then baked them right inside the pumpkin. A new holiday tradition was born. It’s so easy to make, looks absolutely beautiful on the table and tastes even better. Now if only we could buy these pumpkins all year long! —cookingwithkid
- 2 sugar pumpkins
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 to 1 cups lowfat milk (depening how milky you like)
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled + diced)
- extra brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Start by carefully cutting the top off your pumpkin and cleaning the insides out.
- Combine all remaining ingredients (except the brown sugar for sprinkling) in a large bowl. Stir well and divide batter evenly between the two pumpkins.
- Sprinkle the top of each lightly with brown sugar and place both pumpkins on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 mins to an hour or until pumpkin is tender and oatmeal is cooked.
- Serve pumpkins on a plate in the center of the table. When doling out scoops be sure to scrape up some the pumpkin flesh with the spiced oatmeal.
- Note: We recommend cooking the pumpkin with the top off for the first 20 mins and then put the top on loosely (allowing for steam to come out) for the rest of the baking time. If your pumpkin has a stem, make sure to soak it in water before baking and keep it away from the heat source.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
It's a little Spanish, a little Italian, and a lot wonderful
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Meet beaver tails.
A better basket.