Author Notes: Yes, everything is better with bacon. But the bacon flavor is subtle here. it's a pleasant coffee cake with a firm crumb. A bit of maple butter is certainly not a bad idea. - zest in the midwest
- 5 Slices of high quality bacon, cut into lardons
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Yellow corn meal
- 3 tablespoons Light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Yellow corn meal
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 Peeled golden delicious apple, grated
- 1 tablespoon Bacon drippings (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350. Brown the bacon pieces and set aside. Reserve a tablespoon of drippings.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Brush a 9 inch cake pan with melted butter in all sides.
- Mix in the wet ingredients, including the grated apple. Stir well, until no lumps remain.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add bacon, corn meal and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Pour cake batter into pan. Top with bacon topping. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast