If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Yes, everything is better with bacon. But the bacon flavor is subtle here. it's a pleasant coffee cake with a firm crumb. A bit of maple butter is certainly not a bad idea. - zest in the midwest
- 5 Slices of high quality bacon, cut into lardons
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Yellow corn meal
- 3 tablespoons Light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Yellow corn meal
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 Peeled golden delicious apple, grated
- 1 tablespoon Bacon drippings (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350. Brown the bacon pieces and set aside. Reserve a tablespoon of drippings.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Brush a 9 inch cake pan with melted butter in all sides.
- Mix in the wet ingredients, including the grated apple. Stir well, until no lumps remain.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add bacon, corn meal and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Pour cake batter into pan. Top with bacon topping. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
The Daily Grind
Italian Breakfast Buns