If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I eat toast with cheese and fruit for breakfast more often than I'd like to admit, but what can I say? I love it. I was thinking about ways to take the same general idea but gussy it up to make for a breakfast I'd be proud to serve in good company and this is what came to me. I swapped out my standard cheeses for creamy, luscious mascarpone, took some fruit, made it into compote and put it right into the sandwich, and then grilled it like a panini. The result is a golden and crunchy on the outside, gooey, oozing, sweet on the inside breakfast delight! - fiveandspice
- 8 thick slices of cinnamon swirl bread
- 8 tablespoons or so, mascarpone cheese
- 6 tablespoons apricot compote (or more if desired)
- Butter one side of each bread slice and place the bread buttered side down on a piece of wax paper or another non stick surface.
- Spread two tablespoons of mascarpone on 4 of the bread slices leaving a decent size border between the cheese and the edge of the bread. Spread about a tablespoon and a half of the apricot spread on the other 4 slices, leaving a border on these as well.
- Unite the complementary halves with one another! Making 4 mascarpone-fruit compote sandwiches with butter on the outside.
- Grill each sandwich until it is golden and crispy on the outside and the spreads are oozing - 3-4 minutes in a panini press, or 3 minutes per side if you are cooking them in a frying pan.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut each sandwich in half (this is messy and requires a serrated knife) and serve, sprinkled decoratively with a bit of powdered sugar.
Dried apricot compote
- 1 cup unsulphered, dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- Combine everything except the ginger and brandy in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook gently until thick and all the dried fruits are soft and plumped, about 15-20 minutes. Then, stir in the ginger and brandy, cook for another couple of minutes, then allow to cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Just Like Mom Used To
Easygoing banana bread.
Easygoing banana bread.
Fried Goat Cheese with Honey and Black Pepper
Why You Need Another Biscuit Recipe
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
Go play outside!