Author Notes: I know what you're thinking: cottage cheese and whole wheat flour pancakes? (Eyebrows raised in disbelief). But hear me out: these are the fluffiest, most delicious pancakes you will ever taste. Where with regular pancakes I feel full and bit nauseated after two syrupy servings, with these I could easily eat four or five and not notice! (Not that that's completely advisable, either). They're light, not too sweet, endlessly variable (throw in some fresh or frozen fruit, chocolate chips, cinnamon - use your imagination!), and quick to make as well as easy to make ahead; they're perfect for a holiday morning when you want something quick, comforting and tasty without being too-filling in anticipation of all the eating-to-come. Plus, they're vaguely healthier than other pancakes and diabetic-friendly...which is plus (again..thinking of the eating-to-come). If you're short on time in the morning, make a batch the day before and store pancakes between layers of wax paper in an airtight container in the fridge. Toast them up on the stove or in a toaster oven, pour yourself a mug of something steaming and voila! Enjoy! - dpm
Makes 12 pancakes
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- A splash of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Beat together the eggs, canola oil, cottage cheese and vanilla.
- Add the whole wheat flour and baking powder and mix until well-incorporated. If you're adding a powdered variant (cinnamon, cocoa, etc), incorporate it now. If you find the batter too runny, add a bit more flour; if it's too stiff, add in a bit more cottage cheese.
- Heat griddle until very hot. Spoon small ladle-fulls of the batter onto the griddle. If you're adding frozen or fresh berries, chocolate chips, or another add-in, sprinkle over each pancake before you flip. Cook about a minute and a half on each side. These pancakes will not bubble like regular pancakes do, so keep your eye on browning and flip when they feel like they've started to firm up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast