If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in the Netherlands where these pancake fritters, the apparently the size of silver dollars are a staple. My kids LOVE them so they have become a fixture in this largely Nigeria household. A few bacon bits in puffs ensure they are a popular request. I like to serve them with apples - fresh, chopped or a compote, with quenelles of creme fraiche on the side! though poffertjes batter is traditionally made with a yeasty, risen mix, I prefer to use regular (wholegrain) pancake mix —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a lot
- 2 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) milk, or mix of milk and yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mignonette (coarsely crushed fresh black pepper) or grains of paradise
- 1 cup flour (I used whole-wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- If you don't have a poffertjes pan, thin the batter with additional milk and fry small pancakes using 1 - 2 tablespoons of batter
- 1 cup bacon bits, fried and drained
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and add milk (and/or yogurt) to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to the mix. Whisk again, then slowly add in the flours and baking powder and mix till well combined. Don't thicken or thin the batter just yet. First let it rest for 10 - 15 minutes and then adjust. You should have a batter that is slightly thicker than regular crepe mix
- When ready, using a funnel, pour the poffertjes batter into a garnishing/piping bottle (I have one specially reserved for this purpose).
- Heat up your pan and when hot, lightly grease using a spray or a brush to coat the mini craters
- Gently squirt some mixture into each hole, filling them about half of the way full. Sprinkle some bacon bits into each core and then squirt a touch more batter to hide the bacon
- Watch them huff and puff up…quite nicely. After a few minutes, gently loosen them and flip over, when the underside is golden. The first batch may rebel, like the crepe forerunners but the next will behave so worry not!
- Flip over and let the other side cook. Serve with a knob of butter, icing sugar, the rest of the bacon and apples in some form or the other
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.