If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When family visits during the holidays, everyone wakes up lazy and the aroma from this late morning meal makes everyone feel cozy. The sweet of the polenta mixed with the spicy eggs creates a warm, gentle dish. In our house, we serve all holiday breakfasts with a cup of house made cocoa. - FreshMel
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons 100% Maple Syrup
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 6 pieces thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Combine corn meal, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom stockpot, heat water and milk until simmering but not boiling.
- Gently whisk in corn meal mix in a steady stream; stirring constantly until well blended.
- Reduce heat to low, cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to eliminate lumps.
- Cover and remove from heat. Set aside while eggs & bacon are prepared.
- Brush olive oil onto a large preheated griddle.
- For sunny side up: Crack all six eggs, keeping the yolks intact and each one separate. Use a silicon spatula to wrangle any oozing egg into a nice circular form.
- Add a dash of salt and black pepper to taste.
- To finish, sprinkle eggs with a pinch of red chili pepper flakes.
- Serve a cup of polenta in a shallow bowl with a Tablespoon of crumbled bacon on top and a side of sunny side up egg. If desired, garnish with orange slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast