If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have always been a huge fan of mushrooms whether they be on pizza, tossed into a nice bowl of pasta or in this simple yet delicious and special soup. I enjoy experimenting with a variety of fresh and dried mushrooms which add a nice depth of flavor and texture to the soup. The interesting spin on this soup is that it's "souper" creamy but doesn't contain any dairy. Serve a steaming bowl of this soup with a nice field greens salad for your next dinner and I promise there won't be any leftovers! —chandie2
Makes 4 large bowls
- 1/2 cup dried assorted mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, warmed
- 1/4 cup vermouth or white wine
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh thyme
- olive oil, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat stock until simmering. In a small metal bowl place dried mushrooms and ladle enough hot stock over top of the mushrooms to immerse them and cover bowl with plastic wrap and steep mushrooms for 20 minutes or until softened. Roughly chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- In a large heated sauté pan, add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom and heat oil through. Add fresh, sliced mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes until they take on a deep brown color and the majority of the liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and continue stirring. Carefully add vermouth or white wine into pan to deglaze and allow it to cook for about five minutes so that the liquid reduces. Add in the fresh thyme and stir to combine. Pour mushroom mixture into hot stock and stir to combine.
- Puree soup mixture in batches in a blender and return it to the soup pot. Add the chopped, rehydrated mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup