If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For holidays, my mother-in-law makes a casserole with eggs, bread, sausage and cheese. There’s no messing with that recipe because, well, there’s no messing with that recipe!
Many years ago I started making a sweet version, pulled from Gourmet, ?, May 1993, from the “You Asked For It” column: Blueberry- Stuffed French Toast from the Maples Inn. Over the years I’ve fiddled with it: I keep the crusts, add cream to the cream cheese so that it doesn’t get dry and caky, I don’t add maple syrup to the casserole, and I do add vanilla. My sauce is different, too; theirs uses a sauce made with corn syrup, mine is cooked down maple syrup with blueberries. (If I’m lucky, though, I have a jar of my sister’s ~Antonia James~ barely sweetened blueberries to think of her and open on Christmas morning. If you’re lucky, she’ll post her recipe for those delicious blueberries)
Makes 13 x 9" pan
- 12 slices white or wheat bread, with crusts, toor cutrn into 1 - 2 " pieces
- 2 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1/3 c cream or milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2 cups milk, or 1 1/2 c milk mixed with 1/2 c cream
- 3T butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Place bread in buttered glass casserole dish.
- Beat cream cheese and cream together. Add 1/2 tsp of the vanilla. Drop in blobs around casserole.
- Sprinkle 1 c blueberries over casserole
- Beat eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, and milk (or milk and cream mixture) with a pinch of salt and pour evenly over bread and blueberries in the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 min, until bread is puffed.
- To make the sauce, put maple syrup and remaining 1 c blueberries in saucepan and heat for a minute or two. Turn off heat and gently stir in butter and 1 tsp lemon juice. Serve sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast