Author Notes: This came from my husband's grandmother and was passed on by my mother-in-law. When Granny Cox made them they made me fully understand "melt in your mouth". - fro316
Serves 3 dozen
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Scald milk and melt butter in the milk. Set aside to cool.
- combine water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar, stir and let sit until foamy.
- Mix together all ingredients (it will not seem like bread dough).
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours. Form into rolls and let rise 3 hours. This dough will keep in the refrigerator for 10 days. I often use just part of the dough and then have fresh rolls again another day.
- Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner Rolls