Author Notes: i LOVE whiskey and apples...wonderful combination in deserts...this is my liquid apple pie... - DUZE @BakingBackwards
- 5 apples, preferrably organic granny smith
- 1/3 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 1 squeeze of an organic lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon good quality ground cinammon
- 1/2 teaspoon good quality pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 splashes Drambuie
- 2 cups good quality TART apple cider (from farmer's market etc)
- 2 tablespoons organic unslated butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cinammon stick
- 4 shots premium scotch whiskey, your preference of brand
- 4 small scoops premium vanilla ice cream (haagen daaz)
- 4 dashes cinammon
- Peel, core and slice apples. Using a good stir fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium high heat. Add apple slices, saute for 1 minute. Add all spices listed before Drambuie, stir one minute. Add squeeze of lemon.
- Add in the Drambuie, let boil for one minute then reduce heat bringing down to a simmer. Stir in sugar. Increase temperature to medium high heat. Let mixture reduce for a minute or two. Add vanilla. Stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat.
- Using a hand blender, puree the contents in the pan. Empty pan's contents into large jug. Pour the apple cider on top. Stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least a day.
- Take a large pot and put it on medium heat. Add remaining butter to the pot. Add the cinnamon stick, lemon zest and the teaspoon of cloves, stir.
- Using a strainer, pour in the contents of the refrigerated jug. Reserve the pulp and put back into the jug (for more for later!) Bring strained liquid to a light boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Take four mugs. Pour a shot of scotch into each mug. Top off each mug with the simmering apple soup mixture. Drop one small scoop of the vanilla ice cream in each mug. Top each with a dash of cinnamon. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy