If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is adapted from a recipe that comes from my mother. It's a great weekend lunch dish -- it's relatively light yet satisfying, and the fennel and mushrooms give it a strong flavor without hours of simmering. Adding the croutons before pouring the soup into bowls is a technique we picked up from eating French Soupe de Poisson and Italian Ribollita -- the bread is softened and gives additional body to the soup. —Savour
For the Soup
- 1 Fennel Bulb, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, washed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
For the Croutons
- 12 thin slices baguette
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Additional parmesan to serve
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Brush Bread slices with olive oil, arrange on cookie sheet, and bake in oven until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle croutons with parmesan cheese, return to the oven, and bake until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, saute fennel, mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil over medium low heat in a soup pot until vegetables are softened but not brown.
- Add stock to pot, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Puree soup with a stick blender (or transfer to a food processor to puree).
- To serve, lay parmesan croutons in a shallow bowl. Pour hot soup over the croutons, and garnish with additional parmesan and fennel fronds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.