If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe hails from the days of General George Washington. His troops were headquartered in Morristown, NJ, specifically Jockey Hollow, where I live. This area is historic, as it is the location of the first National Historical Park in America. The troops froze and starved here. They were not a happy bunch. Down the hill in Morristown, a very different scene played out. The residents of the Ford Mansion enjoyed Wassail Punches. After all it was General Washington in attendance! Wassails are very popular today as evidenced by the Tales of the Cocktail's Tales of the Toddy held last weekend. —warren_bobrow
Serves eight or fewer if you are adventurous
- 2 quarts 2 quarts fresh unfiltered apple juice
- 1/2 liter Laird’s Apple Brandy
- 1/2 liter Siesta Key Dark Rum
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed smoked lemon juice (smoke lemons over wood fire, then squeeze for unique flavor)
- 10 pieces whole cloves crushed to release their secrets
- 1 pinch allspice
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 1 piece freshly shaved ginger
- 1 piece freshly ground nutmeg
- Wassail Punch Combine apple brandy, rum, apple, orange juice and lemon juice In a slow cooker or a large ancient cast pot over low heat. Season with smashed cloves, shaved ginger and freshly grated nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. If using a slow cooker, allow to simmer all day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.