Author Notes: I adapted this Southern Cocktail to suit the long Boston winters, replacing the licorice liquor rinse with a star anise simple syrup. If using a higher proof rye, like Old Overholt, more bitters will help balance out the flavor. - raisedbycoffee
- 2 tablespoons rye whiskey (per glass)
- 6 dashes Peychaud bitters (per glass)
- 1-2 dash Angostura bitters (per glass)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 lemon twist
- Simmer sugar, water and star anise pods in a small pan over low heat for a few minutes.
- Divide the simple syrup between two glasses with a star anise in each and add the whiskey and bitters. Top with equal parts hot water .
- Rub the rim of the glasses with a twist of lemon and place in drink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy