If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this Southern Cocktail to suit the long Boston winters, replacing the licorice liquor rinse with a star anise simple syrup. If using a higher proof rye, like Old Overholt, more bitters will help balance out the flavor. - raisedbycoffee
- 2 tablespoons rye whiskey (per glass)
- 6 dashes Peychaud bitters (per glass)
- 1-2 dashes Angostura bitters (per glass)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 lemon twist
- Simmer sugar, water and star anise pods in a small pan over low heat for a few minutes.
- Divide the simple syrup between two glasses with a star anise in each and add the whiskey and bitters. Top with equal parts hot water .
- Rub the rim of the glasses with a twist of lemon and place in drink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy