If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Nothing is better than the spiciness of ginger and a little whiskey to warm you up in the winter! This recipe calls for ginger syrup. While you can make your own syrup and make it really spicy--I often times use bottled ginger syrup for convenience and will grate fresh ginger into my mug with a microplaner for a greater kick. - kechin —kechin
Food52 Review: Spicy yet soothing, this is a cup that comforts. Apple cider is simmered and steeped with mulling spices, then mixed with ginger syrup and spirits. The balance of sweetness, fruitiness, and spice is spot on. I made it once with bourbon and once with brandy. Both versions were lovely. Enjoy this warming drink at bedtime on a cold winter's night. —AppleAnnie
- 2 cups apple cider
- pinch of cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods
- pinch of black peppercorns
- inch of ginger root (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 2 shots whiskey (I like Jameson)
- lemon slices (for garnish)
- Add 1 tablespoon of ginger syrup to each mug.
- In a pot, add apple cider, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, peppercorns, and ginger root. Bring to a simmer. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture from pot to mugs.
- Add a shot of whiskey to each mug and garnish with a slice of lemon to float on top of your drink. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.