Author Notes: Nothing is better than the spiciness of ginger and a little whiskey to warm you up in the winter! This recipe calls for ginger syrup. While you can make your own syrup and make it really spicy--I often times use bottled ginger syrup for convenience and will grate fresh ginger into my mug with a microplaner for a greater kick. - kechin - kechin
Food52 Review: Spicy yet soothing, this is a cup that comforts. Apple cider is simmered and steeped with mulling spices, then mixed with ginger syrup and spirits. The balance of sweetness, fruitiness, and spice is spot on. I made it once with bourbon and once with brandy. Both versions were lovely. Enjoy this warming drink at bedtime on a cold winter's night. - AppleAnnie
- 2 cups apple cider
- pinch of cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods
- pinch of black peppercorns
- inch of ginger root (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 2 shots whiskey (I like Jameson)
- lemon slices (for garnish)
- Add 1 tablespoon of ginger syrup to each mug.
- In a pot, add apple cider, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, peppercorns, and ginger root. Bring to a simmer. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture from pot to mugs.
- Add a shot of whiskey to each mug and garnish with a slice of lemon to float on top of your drink. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy