If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make these quite often - I just happened to have a batch in the fridge and am eating them for lunch today - kismet for lentil week! I think these are even better after a day or two, and I love biting on the whole seeds scattered through the lentils. - aargersi - aargersi
Food52 Review: Aargersi's pink lentils are easy enough for a week night dinner, and spicy enough to be completely satisfying. I really loved how the whole spices gave little pops of flavor, making each bite taste a little different. I forgot to pick up jalapenos at the grocery store, so used a dried chipotle pepper instead, and was happy with the level of heat. I found I needed to add salt, since my chicken broth was an organic low-sodium variety. The yogurt makes a great tangy counterpoint that balances the spiciness of the lentils perfectly. Thanks for a healthy and tasty meal! - hardlikearmour
Serves a large pot of lentils
- 2 cups pink lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth (you can use veggie of you want this vegetarian) - plus MAYBE more depending how your lentils cook
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon whole fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large cloves of garlic - minced
- 1/2 yellow onion - diced
- 2 carrots - peeled and diced
- 1 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 jalapenos - seeded and minced
- Rinse the lentils and set them aside. Heat the grapeseed oil in a large pot over medium high. Add the spices to the oil and cook them until the smell wonderfully toasted and are popping a bit. Add in the onion and ginger and saute until the onion is just clear. Add in the garlic, carrots, jalapeno and tomato, then the lentils and the broth. Simmer the whole thing until the lentils are very tender - 30-40 minutes depending how high your heat is. You MAY need additional broth if too much absorbes / evaporates.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt. Easy peasy and super healthy!
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.