Author Notes: My grandma's goodness hits the spot on any winter evening and offers a wonderful lunch at home or the office. I grew up on this simple family recipe and it warms the belly and the heart after ski days in the Sierra Nevada.Eat it by the cup, bowl or with a salad and straight-from-the-oven bread. - Nutsaboutgoodbites
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 3 carrots (peeled and cut in rounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions (white or yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- 1 Loaf of bread or croutons made from whole wheat toast (Optional)
- Saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil. Add carrots and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the carrots soften.
- Add lentils and 6 cups of water.
- Cook for 45 minutes until lentils soften.
- OPTIONAL: Top with fresh chopped spinach leaves, homemade whole wheat croutons or freshly grated parmesan cheese. Excellent served with fresh bread, a salad or just by the bowlful.
- Enjoy leftover lentil soup with crushed tomatoes or a splash of your favorite marinara sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils