If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have spoiled my children into homemade Challah every weekend for the Jewish Shabbos (aka Sabbath or Shabbat). It may seem like a luxury. But if you've never made Challah before, you should really try it. Homemade challah just doesn't compare to the store bought stuff, and it's nowhere near as daunting as you might think. If you are mixing by hand and want to make things easier, make just a half recipe with a yield of three loaves. Adjust the flour to 6 1/2 cups, and use half of all the other ingredients. - Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
Makes 6 loaves
- 4.5 tablespoons dry yeast
- 3 1/4 cups wrist temperature water
- 6 eggs
- 5 pounds white flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- Mix the yeast and water together in a large mixing bowl. Add a drop of honey. Let sit for about 5 minutes till it starts bubbling.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. If you're using a mixer (I use a Bosch mixer which handles five pounds easily), mix for about five minutes until smooth. If you're kneading by hand, it'll take more like ten minutes (sorry!) but you'll get such satisfaction it'll all be worth it.
- Find a warm toasty spot (I use my bedroom!) and let the dough rise for 1-2 hours, till doubled.
- Braid into six or seven loaves (I make mine with four strands of dough), lay the loaves on baking sheets, and then let rise for another hour.
- Prepare an egg wash using 2 eggs and about 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the loaves with egg.
- Preheat the oven to 350* and once it's hot, bake the challah for about 45 minutes until golden.
- Let the Challah cool completely on cooling racks before wrapping in bags and using or freezing.
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.