If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To celebrate the arrival of winter weather here in San Diego, I made a batch of this creamy vegetable soup earlier this week. Although it calls for cream, it has no oil or butter. You can easily substitute half and half for the cream. Organic carrots are inexpensive and readily available in most grocery stores. Since I didn't have any left-over rice, I used precooked brown rice from Trader Joe's. This soup reheats beautifully - just be certain not to boil it while reheating. —Lizthechef
Serves 8 as a starter, 6 as a main dish
- 1 pound organic carrots, topped and peeled
- 3 celery stalks, including leaves
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup cream
- parsley sprigs
- Slice the carrots and celery. Place in a large, heavy-bottomed pot (such as Le Creuset). Add the onion and ginger.
- Add the chicken stock and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat and stir in the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a blender, puree in small batches and return to pot..
- Add the cream, stir and correct seasoning.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.