If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a morph of my beans and cornbread and my Indian lentil recipe. It super simple, and it just came together one day with leftover cornbread and a plain lentil soup. - Spicie Foodie
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 piece large carrot, sliced
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece dried bay leaf
- 6 pieces whole cloves
- 6 pieces black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece red chile, fresh or dried
- 3 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- In a large pot heat the oil under medium heat, then add the sliced carrot fry for about 5 minutes. Next add the minced garlic and fry another 2 minutes. Slice the chile(s) in half and discard the stem. Then add the bay leaf, peppercorns, whole cloves and chile to the pot, fry or about 2 minutes, this brings out or release the flavors and scents of the spices.
- Next add the paprika, salt, beef broth and lentils. Stir to distribute all the spices and lentils. (note for every cup of lentils you add one and half cups of broth or water.) Bring the lentils to boil over medium heat, then lower the heat and continue cooking until the lentils are soft. It depends on your taste if you want the lentils to have more of a soupy texture than you'll need to add more water. Check on them often to make sure they do not dry out.
- Allow the lentils to cool slightly before serving and serve with some cornbread. This recipe makes a hearty meal by serving the lentils with some smoked meat, like smoked ham and don't forget the cornbread. Or vegetarians can skip the meat and replace the beef broth with vegetable broth.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.