If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a hearty but refreshing salad, especially in the winter, lentils with rice add a nutty, substantive base. Combined with fresh herbs, vegetables, and fruit this salad comes alive with a Thai dressing. You can keep New Year's resolutions to eat healthier with this kind of salad. The recipe for the dressing makes enough for future salads. You will want more. Serve this with a great soup and it is a whole meal. —Sagegreen
Thai dressing (makes enough for double salad recipe)
- 3 ounces grapeseed oil
- 1 ounce rice vinegar
- 3 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces fish sauce, nuoc mam recommended (or, if you must, soy sauce as substitute)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 chile peppers, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons grated and peeled fresh ginger
- 1.5 ounces palm sugar or light brown sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup cooked lentils (French green- du Puy or common brown)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage (can mix savoy and red)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and finely cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil, thai if available, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 orange, blood red if available, skinned, chopped and pitted
- 1 ounce fresh yellow pepper preferably, diced
- 1 ounce fresh grated carrots, optional
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- mint sprigs for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- In a jar combine all the ingredients for the dressing. Shake well to make sure everything mixes. Then set aside to let the flavors infuse. Refrigerate the leftover dressing for a future use.
- In a large bowl combine the lentils and rice. Mix evenly.
- Next add all the remaining ingredients, mixing each in so all is evenly distributed. Dress the salad rather generously, so the lentils and rice can absorb some liquid, but don't drown the salad. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then serve with mint garnish and fresh lime wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Tequila's Not a One-Hit Wonder
Master the margarita—then go crazy
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Our latest #f52contest.
It's time to travel.
This week's #happylist.
Off to market.