Author Notes: My great-grandmother, grandmother and Tia use to make this soup on a cold wintery day. I have a hard time finding good Basque chorizo, which they used, so I substitute it with Portuguese chorizo. If you can find the Basque chorizo, it is a little different, a bit more spicy. - ChezUs
Serves 6 large or 8 small
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, cleaned and finely minced
- 2 stalks of celery, cleaned and cut into small dice
- 3 carrots, cleaned and cut into small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chorizo, cut into small slices
- 1 cup green lentils
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 whole dry-farmed or roma tomato
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot, add leek, celery and carrots. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, stir and continue to cook over low heat; for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and lentils, stir and cook for about 1 minute, over low heat.
- Add the stock and stir. Continue to cook over low heat, for about 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato, stir and continue to cook over low heat, for another 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the tomato has broken down.
- Serve. Eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils