If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my original recipes that I used to serve at my take-out shop years ago. Lentils pair well with a smoky flavor and this soup has the added nutritional punch and color of purple kale for a satisfying and healthy main-course. I love to make this soup with smoked duck (with the skin removed) when I have it. - mandochef
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch purple kale, chopped
- 2 cups diced smoked turkey breast, no skin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Sweat the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in a large stockpot with the olive oil.
- After about five minutes on medium-low, add the lentils (that have been picked over and rinsed) and the stock. Turn heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked but still holding their shape.
- Add the diced turkey and the kale and simmer for five minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.