If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love lentil salads and soups. There are so many great recipes for salads and soups that I thought that I would parse the ingredients that make up these recipes and put them back together in a new presentation . - dymnyno
Serves a crowd
- 1 pound green lentils
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 1 + teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- feta cheese(about 1/2 tsp for each fritter)
- 4 tablespoons panko/bread crumbs
- olive oil
- Greek yoghurt
- Rinse and check the lentils for foreign objects (like rocks!).
- Cook in enough water to cover the lentils by about an inch. Cook until very tender. 30 min to an hour depending on age of lentils, etc. Watch them carefully.
- Cook until very dry, stir with a wooden spoon.
- Mash completely with a wooden spoon. Don't make a smooth paste...you should see some whole lentils in the mix.
- Add the egg, garlic, cilantro, cumin, zest, and panko. Mix completely, taste , and add more cumin if needed.
- Form the "dough" into golf ball sized fritters. As you are forming the fritters, put a piece of feta (about 1/2 tsp) into each and form the fritter around the cheese center.
- Roll the fritters into panko that is in a dish or flat surfact and coat the entire fritter.
- Fry the fritters in olive oil that is about 1/2 inch deep. I use a high sided pan to minimize splatter of oil. Fry the fritters until all sides are golden browned.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt that is garnished with lemon zest and chopped cilantro. Or, use them instead of meatballs with a nice tomato sauce and pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.