If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love all types of lentils -- this is simple and goes well as a bed for roasted salmon and a port wine sauce. New Year's Day...or any day... As a bit of trivia, Italians believe that eating lentils on New Year's Day brings prosperity in the year to come. - CeCeH
- 1 2/2 cups French green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peel and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, peel and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- dash of salt
- 2 cups home-made vegetable broth
- Pick over and rinse lentils
- Heat oil in medicum saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrrot celery garlic and salt and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft--about 10-15 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock to cover. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until stock is absorbed by the lentils--about 20-30 minutes. Add salt and more stock so lentils are coverd again. Continue cooking until lentils are tender, about 20-30 more minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature or as a bed for baked salmon and port wine sauce, or baked salmon and chive oil, or ...anything...