Author Notes: I love all types of lentils -- this is simple and goes well as a bed for roasted salmon and a port wine sauce. New Year's Day...or any day... As a bit of trivia, Italians believe that eating lentils on New Year's Day brings prosperity in the year to come. - CeCeH
- 1 2/2 cup French green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peel and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, peel and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- dash of salt
- 2 cups home-made vegetable broth
- Pick over and rinse lentils
- Heat oil in medicum saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrrot celery garlic and salt and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft--about 10-15 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock to cover. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until stock is absorbed by the lentils--about 20-30 minutes. Add salt and more stock so lentils are coverd again. Continue cooking until lentils are tender, about 20-30 more minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature or as a bed for baked salmon and port wine sauce, or baked salmon and chive oil, or ...anything...