Author Notes: Moroccan chili paste, which upgrade any sandwich, vegetables and other dishes. Since it is hard to find a good one in a store in the USA, you should make it at home. You can use other types of dried chili depend on how spicy you like it (this version is mild). - Cordeliah
Makes about 3/4 cup of harissa
- 10 dried chilies ( Guajillo)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Submerge the dried chilies in warm tap water for about an hour, until soft.
- Get rid of ones that stay dry and do not become soft.
- Break down the chilies and take out the seeds.
- Put the chilies and all the rest of the ingredients except for the oil in the food processor. Grind well, but still chunky and not a complete paste.
- Add the oil and mix just with few more pluses.
- Taste for salt.
- If the chilies are not very spicy you can add some chili flakes as well.
- Good for about 3 weeks in the fridge, if covered with a bit of olive oil.
- Also good without the cilantro.