If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother has been cooking Cuban Black Bean Soup for our family for years. As my father says 'It just takes like candy, it is so good!'. I decided that I would substitute the black beans for lentils and give it a whirl. The dish came out well and had great flavor. The toppers of dark rum, sour cream and chopped green onions really make the dish, but they obviously can be left out if someone in your family does not like them. The chorizo can also be subbed for pork sausage, if you do not have access to chorizo. Enjoy! —Table9
- 1 1/2 cups Dry Lentils, Cooked and Well-Drained
- 1/2 pound Chorizo, casings removed
- 1 Small Spanish Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 1 teaspoon Table Salt
- Pinch of Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/8 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup V-8 juice
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Green Onion Tops, Finely Chopped
- 1/8 cup Dark Rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat on the stove top and add the Chorizo and chopped Spanish onion. Stir frequently until browned and well broken up. Once cooked, drain liquid from the pan and add the cooked lentils, mix well.
- Add next seven (7) ingredients to Chorizo and lentil mixture. Mix well and bring soup to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, pour mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Cook casserole in the 325 degree preheated oven for 2 hours.
- To serve use large gumbo bowls. Put 4 teaspoons of sour cream, 4 teaspoons of green onion and a splash of Dark Rum (optional, but sure does make it delicious and authentic) over the top of the soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
What's Missing from Your Cold Brew
A little herby, a lot awesome
Do this for better cold brew.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
It's a love story.