If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish is typical from the rural areas in Tuscany and I learned it from one of my neighbours when I lived there. Simple, heart-warming, the perfect dish to make when you’re snow bound in the middle of the mountains in Tuscany! What? You didn’t know it snowed in Tuscany?! You bet it does and it’s as gorgeous as the summer! The most amazing thing about it is I still picked my fresh herbs that resisted the snow. Truth is I didn’t use fresh tomatoes in winter, I canned my own in August, so if you do the same use your own tomato or use canned tomatoes. - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 2 cups dry green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme + 1 tsp chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary + 1 tsp chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 carrots diced small
- 1 small red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 or 3 Italian Sausages
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- Salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fill a pot with cold water and add the lentils, salt, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain and discard the herbs.
- Cut the carrots in small dice.
- Thinly mince the onion and the garlic, removing the green inner part of the garlic.
- In a pan with some olive oil, fry the sausages until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to cool. Cut in slices.
- Add the white wine to the pan, scrape the sausage residues and allow the alcohol to evaporate. Add some more olive oil, the red onion, the garlic, the carrots, the chopped thyme and rosemary, and stir until the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, some salt and freshly ground pepper, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Check if it needs some extra water and add. Continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture is reduced. Add the lentils and sausages, mix thoroughly and season well. Allow to simmer 5 more minutes to mix all the flavours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.