Author Notes: I just found lentils this past year and have had a lot of fun experimenting with them. The family loves dijon mustard and I found that when I added the portabella mushrooms this could go from a side dish to an entree as it is so hearty. - nweb
Serves 4 as entree; 6 as side
- 1 cup french green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 portabella mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash lentils and drain. Add lentils and salt to water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Remove and rinse with cool water and drain.
- Slice leeks length-wise and then chop into 1/2 slices. Slice portabella mushrooms in large cubes.
- Melt butter and add olive oil, leeks and mushrooms. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils, chicken broth, mustard and vinegar. Raise temperature to medium-high and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until chicken broth is reduced. Add salt and pepper to taste and top with chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils