If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is all about textures. I love to make this thin smooth lentil soup/puree brightened with lemon juice and preserved lemon. In addition, I reserve some of the cooked lentils, and make thick lentil cakes that are extra crispy on the outside, and soft a creamy on the inside. You can alter the taste of the cake dramatically, but I like a little bit of spice, and the mellowed flavor of roasted garlic. This creates a great backdrop for a main dish such as stewed chicken, as the lemon and spicy flavors can cut thru a decadent stewed meat. —foodfighter
- 1 pound Brown/Red Lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- Lemon Juice (to taste)
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Oil in large heavy bottom pot (Dutch Oven). Add onions, and soften until translucent.
- Add broth, lentils and season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Reserve 1.5 cups of cooked lentils.
- Blend remaining lentils to a smooth puree, season to taste with additional salt, pepper and lemon juice. I like it very lemony. Keep warm.
Lentil Cakes and Serving/Plating
- Reserved Lentils
- 2 pieces Roasted Garlic
- .5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- .25 preserved lemon, finely minced
- Parsley, chopped
- Roughly process reserved lentils and garlic until smooth with a few chunks.
- Add Flour and cayenne to lentil mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil in frying pan (medium-high heat). Place four ring molds or round cutters in pan. Spoon in lentil mixture, and cook until brown and crispy 3-5 minutes, remove mold and flip cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Place soup/puree in four shallow bowls, place lentil cake in each bowl. Dust the top of the lentil cake lightly wit additional cayenne pepper. Sprinkle soup/puree with minced preserved lemon and remaining 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.