Author Notes: This recipe is all about textures. I love to make this thin smooth lentil soup/puree brightened with lemon juice and preserved lemon. In addition, I reserve some of the cooked lentils, and make thick lentil cakes that are extra crispy on the outside, and soft a creamy on the inside. You can alter the taste of the cake dramatically, but I like a little bit of spice, and the mellowed flavor of roasted garlic. This creates a great backdrop for a main dish such as stewed chicken, as the lemon and spicy flavors can cut thru a decadent stewed meat. - foodfighter
- 1 pound Brown/Red Lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- Lemon Juice (to taste)
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Oil in large heavy bottom pot (Dutch Oven). Add onions, and soften until translucent.
- Add broth, lentils and season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Reserve 1.5 cups of cooked lentils.
- Blend remaining lentils to a smooth puree, season to taste with additional salt, pepper and lemon juice. I like it very lemony. Keep warm.
Lentil Cakes and Serving/Plating
- Reserved Lentils
- 2 pieces Roasted Garlic
- .5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- .25 preserved lemon, finely minced
- Parsley, chopped
- Roughly process reserved lentils and garlic until smooth with a few chunks.
- Add Flour and cayenne to lentil mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil in frying pan (medium-high heat). Place four ring molds or round cutters in pan. Spoon in lentil mixture, and cook until brown and crispy 3-5 minutes, remove mold and flip cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Place soup/puree in four shallow bowls, place lentil cake in each bowl. Dust the top of the lentil cake lightly wit additional cayenne pepper. Sprinkle soup/puree with minced preserved lemon and remaining 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils