If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Indian inspired, the dish is so versatile it can be eaten as a main or side dish. Adding a little twist to the spices will intensify this dish even more. - dieubert
- 1 cup green lentil
- 2.5 cups water (more if needed)
- 1 tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 generous piece of ginger
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorn, cumin seeds, mustard seeds - combined
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (less/more if desired)
- 2 bay leafs
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- To start, finely chop the garlic and ginger and put them in a bowl. Then chop half of the onion and cut the tomato into small diced pieces. Combine with the garlic and ginger.
- In a small pot, heat some olive oil then add in the vegetables. Let it sit until it looks like a paste, stirring frequently to avoid it sticking to the pot. Then add in the lentils and mix it around with the paste to absorb the flavor. Stir around for another 2-3 minutes then add in the water, cover and let simmer.
- Here’s a useful trick, instead of continuously adding water to avoid the lentils from drying out, pour some water into a bowl (preferably a stainless steel bowl) and place it directly over the pot. The sweat from the evaporation will keep the lentils moist. Using a small skillet, toast the black peppercorn, cumin seeds and mustard seeds until you hear popping. Remove from heat and transfer to a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle to roughly grind the spices. I eyeballed it to be exactly 2t combined. The toasting of the spices really intensifies the fragrance.
- Halfway through, add in all of the spices and salt. Taste test. If the lentils aren't done yet, just let it simmer with the bowl of water on top for evaporation.
- Serve with yogurt, naan or rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Recipe of the Day
Ooh la la, it's savory French toast.
Recipe of the Day
Shop our Father's Day collection.
All the spring pastabilities.
These chips are a little chili.
That was a close shave.