If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A delicate yet flavorful soup that I've honed over the years. Quick and easy, this meal is a staple in my home. I find it extremely satisfying and comforting, especially on cold winter days. It also lends well to variation of locally available and/or on-hand ingredients. - Xepora
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (medium)
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 cup butternut squash or sweet potato (diced)
- 2-3 uncooked Italian-flavored chicken sausage links (casing removed)
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 fennel bulb (small/medium-sized) or 1 teaspoon fennel or anise seeds.
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- Sort lentils to remove any small rocks and/or sticks that may have been missed in the packaging.
- Saute onion, celery and butternut squash in olive oil.
- Add sausage and cook thoroughly.
- Add lentils and coat.
- Add water, fennel, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium/medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. To thicken soup, mash a portion of the ingredients in the pot and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils