If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe encompasses a world of flavors, Spanish, Moroccan and Mediterranean. Serve it as a main course on a cold wintery night or as a first course as part of a meal. To make it vegetarian, omit the chorizo and use vegetable instead of chicken stock. - epicureanodyssey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pure saffron, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, preferably Muir Glen, or regular canned diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, medium dice
- 2 cups brown Spanish lentils (padrina) or French green lentils (puy), cooked until tender
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender, or 2 14-ounce cans, rinsed and drained
- 5 to 6 cups low-sodium commercial chicken stock
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- crusty bread, for serving
- In a soup pot, over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and saute' about 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion has softened. Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds, and add the chorizo. Saute' for another minute or two, then add the saffron, coriander, cinnamon and ginger. Stir to combine. Add the tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, lentils and chickpeas. Stir to combine. Add 5 cups chicken stock, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. If the stew seems too dry, add a little more stock.
- To serve, ladle into warm soup bowls, drizzle with olive oil and top with cilantro leaves. Serve hot with warm crusty bread
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.