If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a combination of lentil soup recipes I've made for many years to recreate a lentil soup I had about 20 years ago. I don't think this is anywhere close to what I've tried to copy but it is by far, better. Plus, it allows me to keep last year's new years resolution to eat more green leafy vegetables. Seems the resolutions I am most successful with are the ones that require me to eat more of something. —ourlastsupper
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, casings removed
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces Brown or French lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups Chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup Canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1/4 pound Kale, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Fresh thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons Sour cream
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute carrots, celery, onion and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up, until it begins to brown. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
- Add lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Raise the heat and cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, un-covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add kale and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and simmer for 4 minutes more. Add thyme. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a tablespoon of sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.