If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love using short ribs to make tacos--the meat is so tender and flavorful from the braising liquid. This is great for a weekend dinner or any time, really. —NWB
- 3-4 beef short ribs
- 5 jalapenos
- 1 large onion
- 1 thick slice of bacon
- 1 14.5 ounce can of Rotel (chopped tomatoes are fine)
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- pickled jalapenos and juice
- cholula hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-4 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 can of beer (preferably a lighter beer)
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and season short ribs.
- Brown ribs in large dutch oven until a dark brown crust forms--about 2 minutes a side. Remove from pot.
- Cut bacon into large chunks and cook in pot.
- Chop onion and jalapenos (seed as many as you like for heat control). If needed add a little olive oil to the pot and saute the vegetables. Add salt, a tsp of chili powder, a dash of paprika, and a dash of cumin. After a few minutes add chopped garlic. After vegetables are softened remove bacon from the pot (eat it!).
- Return ribs to pot. Add the can of tomatoes, beer, and enough stock to cover the ribs. Throw in a bunch of pickled jalapenos and a couple of tablespoons of the juice. Add two teaspoons of chili powder and one teaspoon of cumin. Add a few glugs of the hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Cover. Put in oven and cook for around two hours or until meat falls off the bone.
- Remove from oven, take beef out of the pot, and let cool until you can shred it with fork or with your hands. Save bones for stock.
- While beef is cooling use an immersion blender to blend the vegetables and liquid in the pot. Once the liquid is smooth boil over medium high heat until it reduces into a thicker sauce.
- Once beef is shredded return it to the pot and let it cook in the sauce over a low heat for a half and hour to an hour.
- Serve beef in liquid with a slotted spoon. Fix tacos with flour or corn tortillas and whatever fixings you prefer. I make them with flour tortillas, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, and shredded iceberg lettuce, but there are infinite possibilities.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.