If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am intrigued with Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and African cooking. I would never try to pass myself off on being adept at cooking this cuisine but I do know I love to try any recipe I can get my hands on. From Morocco to Turkey to Africa, the spices intrique and continue to entice me to try to replicate soups to stews to sauces. I only wish I do not offend someone with this dish, I just know I love the flavors. This is my attempt at a Spiced Ethiopian Stew. Serve with Naan or Pita but couscous would be acceptable. - Stockout
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup good quality Paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- Season ribs with salt & pepper. Dust each in flour.
- In large dutch oven or cast iron stockpot, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil till hot. Sear beef on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to platter.
- Make the red pepper sauce first, combine tomato sauce, paprika, 1/4 cup dry red wine, grated ginger root, red pepper, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Set red-pepper sauce aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in red pepper sauce, tumeric, and salt. Add spare ribs to skillet. Stir to coat.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce head. Cover; simmer or bake (300F) for about 2 ½ - 3 hours, until beef meat separates with a fork. Stir in 1/4 cup dry red wine and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes more. Skim off fat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.